2015 Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program
Row 1: Left to right: Lynn Trahey, Argonne; Rebecca Yasky, JLab; Nick Romero, Argonne; Zelimir Djurcic, Argonne; Marcela Carena, Fermilab; Lynn McKnight, JLab.
Row 2: Left to right: Tim Michalski, JLab; Randy Michaud, JLab; Brian Ingram, Argonne; Andrea Viel-Reed, Argonne; Kawtar Hafidi, Argonne; Brenna Flaugher, Fermilab; Elena Hushbeck, Argonne; Mohan Ramanathan, Argonne; Nancy Grossman, Argonne; Ann Nestander, Fermilab.
Row 3: Left to right: Dan Johnson, Fermilab; Jerry Leibfritz, Fermilab; Jonathan Lewis, Fermilab; Francesco DeCarlo, Argonne; Oliver Gutsche, Fermilab; Marc Kaducak, Fermilab; Mike Sodaro, Argonne; Joe Grames, JLab; Mayling Wong-Squares, Fermilab; Jim Grudzinski, Argonne; Lee Zachos, Argonne; Douglas Glenzinski, Fermilab; Jennifer Dunn, Argonne.
Not pictured:Laura Skubal, Argonne.
Fifteen Argonne employees, nominated by their associate laboratory directors and selected by the laboratory director, are participating in this year’s Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program (SLLP) (Login required).
Candidates in the program are individuals who show leadership abilities, exceptional work ethic, collaborative thinking skills, rigorous scholarship aptitude and innovative and creative problem solving capabilities.
This program was inaugurated in 2007; to date, 120 candidates from Argonne have been selected to participate. The program provides students with the conceptual tools to manage complex projects in a practical, real-world scenario.
Participants in the 2015 cohort are:
- Francesco DeCarlo (XSD), physicist and group leader
- Zelimir Djurcic (HEP), physicist and group leader
- Jennifer Dunn (ES), principal environmental analyst and team leader
- Nancy Grossman (PSC), deputy associate project manager for experimental facilities
- James Grudzinski (NE), engineering operations and section manager
- Kawtar Hafidi (PHY), associate chief scientist for LDRD and experimental physicist
- Elena Hushbeck (GSS), nonproliferation policy analyst and group leader
- Brian Ingram (CSE), materials scientist
- Mohan Ramanathan (PSC), associate project manager
- Nichols Romero (ALCF), computational scientist and principal project specialist
- Laura Skubal (MSD), environmental engineer and group leader
- Mike Sodaro (FMS), interim deputy division director
- Lynn Trahey (JCESR), materials scientist
- Andrea Viel-Reed (HR), human resources manager
- Lee Zachos (OTD), laboratory partnership and outreach manager
Other participants in the program come from Fermilab and Jefferson Laboratory. The program consists of three multiday sessions, held in April, August and November. Throughout the program, cross-laboratory teams work on a joint project and each team presents its findings to culminate the program.
UChicago Argonne, LLC, sponsors the Strategic Laboratory Leadership Program, a non-degree executive leadership program, developed by the premier executive business management school, the Chicago Booth School of Business, for the programmatic and operations staff of Argonne and Fermilab.
The University of Chicago and UChicago Argonne, LLC have committed funding for this program for nine years, since the program inception in Sept. 2007.