Hour of Code: Volunteers needed
Connect and Code with Students
Argonne’s Educational Programs, in conjunction with the Computer Science Education Working Group, will be celebrating “Hour of Code” Monday, Dec. 7 – Saturday, Dec. 12, 2015, – by showcasing the great work we do in this space on our website, social media outlets and sharing hands-on activities with our school community. Additionally, we will also be sending out volunteers to local schools to support their own Hour of Code celebrations.
Hour of Code is a national initiative where schools commit to one-hour of an introduction to computer science. This is designed to demystify coding and show that anybody can learn the basics. This will be Argonne’s first year participating in the Hour of Code Celebration. For more information on Hour of Code, visit code.org.
The goal of Argonne’s participation is to enhance the already existing national Hour of Code activities. To have a successful year, we need volunteers. Interested volunteers will travel to local middle or high schools to engage with classrooms participating in Hour of Code.
All volunteers will be provided with a computer science outreach box to assist them during their visit. The school selection process will be made available to regional schools that have registered through the Hour of Code website.
Volunteers will be asked to:
- Attend a one hour orientation and communications prep meeting (scheduled during lunch time)
- Travel to assigned school to serve as computer science expert
- Give a 15 minute presentation on research/work at Argonne National Laboratory
- Engage with students while participating in Hour of Code activities
- Live tweet photos of the day’s activities
Volunteers are asked to donate a minimum two hours to their selected classroom.
- We will be accepting volunteers through Friday, Nov. 27, 2015.
- Mentor meeting will take place on Monday, Nov. 30 in Building 240.
- Scientists will know their school match on Friday, Dec. 4.
We are excited to be joining this national effort and look forward to having a successful event this year. We hope you can join us. If you have any questions, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.