Summer influx of students under way
by Meridith Bruozas, Manager, Educational Programs
As the saying goes in Chicago, there are two seasons: winter and road construction. Argonne has two seasons as well: winter and lots of students. Though Argonne has year-round internships, most student programs take place during the summer. On May 31, 2016, the first wave of more than 300 students arrived on site to begin their Argonne experience, which for many will be their first time working as researchers.
This is an exciting time for both the students and Argonne staff. We enjoy the energy and enthusiasm students bring to our campus as they apply their academic knowledge, develop new skills and start to explore a possible career pathway.
Please help us develop a safe, nurturing and welcoming environment for our next generation of researchers:
- Introduce yourself to the students.
- Engage with them in the cafeteria and other casual experiences.
- Invite them to participate in social club activities and events.
- Help them navigate our campus and buildings.
- Be a cautious driver and watch out for walking and biking students.
- Share with them lectures and opportunities for them to explore.
- Help them navigate our safety culture.
Student poster gallery
Our student internship programs could not be successful without the support from everyone at the lab. To help celebrate, we will host a Student Poster Gallery Walk on the lawn outside the Building 213 Cafeteria on Wednesday, August 3, 2016, at noon. The gallery walk will provide employees an opportunity to learn a bit about the research and projects students have been participating in over the summer.