Protecting unclassified, controlled information
When working with unclassified, controlled (i.e., sensitive) information, remember to take the necessary precautions to protect it:
- Always shred sensitive documents when disposing of them. Do not throw them in the trash can or recycle bin.
- Do not discuss sensitive information in public.
- Encrypt or password-protect emails that contain sensitive information.
- Secure sensitive documents in locked cabinets or locked offices.
Paper shredding service
FMS Safegaurds, Security and Emergency Services, along with the OPSEC Working Group, provide onsite paper shredding service. This aids in the destruction of unclassified, sensitive information that is no longer needed.
- All paper that needs to be shredded should be sent to: Pat Berglund, Security Programs Facility, Building 316.
- All material that is not brought personally to Building 316 MUST be sent in an opaque container that is sealed and labeled “To Be Opened by Addressee Only” on the outside.
- When sending material for shredding, a notification email should be sent to Berglund at firstname.lastname@example.org advising of shipment date and the amount, for tracking purposes.
For questions regarding the protection of sensitive information, contact Sandy Guendling at email@example.com or ext. 2-4888.