Spot Awards received for best-in-show Safety Shares: February 2017 to July 2017
Each month, one safety share contributor is selected to receive a Spot Award for demonstrated safety leadership. These individuals received Spot Awards for contributing to Argonne’s positive safety culture:
- February 2017: Joe Kilar (HSE, retired) and Frank Perrotta (FAC) for submitting Safety share: Faulty plugs result in electrical burn and shock
- March 2017: Joe Kilar (HSE, retired) for submitting Safety share: Near miss, high winds shift tree roots
- April 2017: N/A
- May 2017: Mike Edelen (HSE) for submitting Safety share: Clothes dryer fire – Near miss at home
- June 2017: Ann Bertling (CSE) for submitting Safety share: Argonne training prepared me, active shooter situation while shopping
- July 2017: Quinn Matula (HSE) for submitting Safety share: Protect yourself, some native plants are poisonous
Argonne’s Safety Share Library, available on Box, provides a set of resources to help engage our laboratory community in the dialogue on safety. A safety share is a helpful piece of information, a set of tips or a story about an encounter or near miss, including a lesson learned, that can be imparted to others. It is a great way to kick off a meeting—it encourages our community to keep safety at the forefront of our minds each and every day. It also promotes the sharing of best practices across our site.
All employees are encouraged to submit safety shares for inclusion in the Safety Share Library. Submission details are available on Inside Argonne.
Spot Award program
The Spot Award program offers three award levels: gold ($100), silver ($50) and bronze ($25).
If you see an employee exhibiting behavior that warrants positive recognition (e.g., safe behavior or process improvements), you can nominate that individual for a Spot Award by submitting a Spot Award (ANL-758).
The form will be routed to the individual’s supervisor and division for approval. Observers may award employees from their own division or from other divisions. The cost of the award is charged to the recipient’s division.
Additional information about the Spot Award program is available on Inside Argonne.