Call for nominations: 2017 mentoring awards
The call for nominations for the 2017 Outstanding Staff Mentor Award, Outstanding Postdoctoral Mentor Award, and Outstanding Postdoctoral Supervisor Award is now open.
Nominations include a 250- to 500-word statement about the exceptional mentor in your life. Nominations are due by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2017. Winners will be contacted in December.
Individuals from mission support or programmatic areas can be nominated for the Outstanding Staff Mentor Award through the completion of the online nomination form.
Postdoctoral appointees and Argonne Scholars may submit nominations for the Outstanding Postdoctoral Supervisor Award or the Outstanding Postdoctoral Mentor Award by completing the online nomination form.
For the Outstanding Staff Mentor Award and Outstanding Postdoctoral Mentor Award, consider nominating someone who:
- Motivates employees and boosts curiosity, passion, and performance
- Creates a supportive environment and helps employees navigate the Argonne culture
- Maintains an open line of communication, is a good listener, and provides feedback without bias
- Encourages career success through the development of important skills such as communication, leadership, professionalism, and networking
- Advocates for staff and postdocs inside and outside the Laboratory
- Leads by example/is a role model
In addition to the above criteria, an Outstanding Postdoctoral Supervisor is someone who:
- Encourages postdocs to attend conferences and share their work broadly
- Provides postdocs with opportunities to explore scientific interests, within funding constraints
- Supports and encourages participation in career development activities
- Encourages and enables discipline-specific skill development (e.g., new techniques, training on unfamiliar equipment, identifying funding opportunities, and writing proposals)
- Discusses latest trends and future directions in the field of research
- Supports a flexible work schedule, when possible
Award recipients will be selected by a committee comprised of employees from across the Laboratory and across career levels. Each awardee will receive a monetary award and plaque.
The selection process will use a fair and impartial blind review in which nomination essays are cleared of identifying information, including gender-specific pronouns. Nominations are evaluated by the selection committee to demonstrate the qualities of excellence in mentoring. For tips on writing a nomination essay, see the Leadership Institute’s essay nomination writing tips in Box.
For inquiries about the Outstanding Staff Mentor Award, Outstanding Postdoctoral Mentor Award, and Outstanding Postdoctoral Supervisor Award, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information, see the Call for Nominations: Mentoring Awards Discretionary Memo.