2018 Incentivized Wellness Program: Strength and Stability
A new fiscal year means a new Incentivized Wellness Program (IWP). The IWP begins with our new fiscal year Oct. 1, 2017, and ends Sept. 30, 2018. Health & Employee Wellness (HEW) offers this voluntary program as a way to engage employees and encourage them to make healthy lifestyle choices. The program is available to all employees eligible for medical benefits, and once again Virgin Pulse will be an integral part of the program. As a year-round program, it is designed to keep employees engaged throughout the year rather than something to be completed quickly. Employees can earn wellness credits — up to $600 in financial incentives — to apply toward their 2019 Argonne medical insurance premiums.
This year’s theme is “Strength and Stability.” Employees will have the opportunity to learn how to maintain joint health, minimize pain and stiffness, improve balance and avoid injury. The emphasis of the program will be on preventing muscle and joint pain via weight control, proper posture and exercise, while minimizing the use of opiate painkillers when pain does occur. The physical therapy team will be large contributors to this year’s program, offering updated monthly 20-minute seminars focusing on strength, flexibility and balance.
Points are adjusted each year to best fit with the health topic being addressed and to keep employees engaged year-round with Virgin Pulse. Earning points is fun and easy, and a goal of 80,000 is not difficult, especially if you start early and make visiting the Virgin Pulse website or mobile app a regular part of your day. The following are just some of the ways to earn points this year:
- Interact regularly with the Virgin Pulse website and earn points daily for tracking activity and healthy habits, reading health and safety tips, participating in challenges and completing self-help modules. See Inside Argonne for details.
- 4LIFE Lecture: Take a Break from Body Aches (earn 20,000 points)
- Health Assessment in Virgin Pulse (earn 20,000 points)
- Health Screening (earn 5,000 points)
- Monthly 20-minute seminars on muscle and joint health (earn 1,000 points for each, for total up to 12,000 points)
- Monthly Healthy Habit Challenge in Virgin Pulse on muscle and joint health (earn 500 points for each, for total up to 6,000 points)
- Voluntary physical at HEW clinic (earn 1,000 points)
- Mindful Mondays meditation with a focus on pain management (earn 100 points weekly)
However you choose to earn your points, you can use them to earn the following wellness credits toward your 2019 Argonne medical plan premiums:
- 20,000 points $150 credit
- 40,000 points $300 credit
- 60,000 points $450 credit
- 80,000 points $600 credit
Keep in mind that an active Virgin Pulse account is necessary to receive any wellness credit. Even if you earn the full 80,000 points before the end of the fiscal year, do not delete your account. Virgin Pulse will report employees’ credit status to Payroll on Oct. 1, 2018, and employees must remain in the system to be in that reporting. Start participating in the IWP today for a healthier tomorrow and save on your 2019 health insurance premium.