Gopal K. Shenoy, world-renowned materials scientist, Argonne Distinguished Fellow, and a driving force, with the late Dr. Yanglai Cho, in bringing the Advanced Photon Source (APS) to Argonne, died Nov. 29 at the age … Read More
On a recent trip to his parents’ home, David McCallum (TCP) discovered an outdoor extension cord that had a frayed outer jacket and exposed bare conductors.
“[My dad] had bought the cord at about the same time that I was born,” said McCallum. “I bought a replacement cord and threw the old one into the … Read More »
All are welcome to join Laboratory Director Paul Kearns in conversation on Monday, Dec. 4, 2017, at 2 p.m. in Building 208, Room A138. Coffee will be provided.
“Conversations with Kearns” is an informal weekly gathering. Wide-ranging discussions at previous meetings have covered safety, laboratory strategy and many other topics of interest.
Future meetings will … Read More »
Controlled burns will be held on the Argonne site on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017, to promote the health of native plants, eliminate unwanted exotic plants and reduce the probability of wildfires.
Burns will take place along the southern and eastern edges of the Argonne site. Predicted wind conditions should send most of the smoke away … Read More »
Effective December 1, 2017, East Gate’s closing time will be change from 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. The opening hour will remain the same.
Gate hours Gate Hours Main Gate (on Northgate Rd. off Cass Ave.) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week West Gate (on Westgate Rd. off Lemont Rd.) 5:45 a.m. – … Read More »
Presentation materials requested by 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 30
The next town hall meeting for the Materials and Chemistry Initiative will be held on Monday, Dec. 4, 2017, from 2 to 5 p.m. in Building 241, Room D172. The town hall will center on Energy Storage and will be led by ACCESS Director Venkat Srinivasan. … Read More »
The Women in Science and Technology (WIST) program will be forming two new subcommittees to focus on engineering and computing. The mailing lists for each subcommittee are open to all employees.
WIST Subcommittee on Engineering
This subcommittee will promote networking among women engineers at Argonne as well as organize Argonne’s presence at … Read More »
The Argonne Choral Group will present its 37th annual holiday concert Monday, Dec. 18, 2017, at noon in the Building 362 Auditorium.
Music will be appropriate to sacred and secular Christmas, … Read More »
Recently, Mary Malik (HSE) noticed a cigarette butt receptacle on campus that had smoke billowing out of it as she was driving in to work. She quickly called for help and mitigated a potentially dangerous situation.
Put out butts
Smokers should extinguish cigarettes and cigars before dropping them into smoking receptacles. Some cans provide instructions … Read More »
Faculty members from the Northern Illinois University (NIU) College of Engineering and Engineering Technology will be visiting Argonne on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017, to discuss research collaborations between Argonne and NIU. All Argonne employees are invited to attend a meeting in Building 203, Room D120 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Approximately 25 faculty members … Read More »
- Creating a Digital Twin of an Electric Utility: Reimagining Building Energy Modeling in a World of High-Performance Computing, Big Data, Imagery, and Advanced Metering InfrastructureSeptember 25 - 10:00 am
- The Host-Guest Interaction in Metal-Organic Frameworks: A Combined Spectroscopic StudySeptember 25 - 11:00 am
- Nuclear Physics Applications at the University of Notre DameSeptember 25 - 3:30 pm
- New Combustion Synthesis Research Facility heats up high-throughput manufacturing of nanomaterialsSeptember 21, 2018
- Argonne announces Flame Spray Pyrolysis process for commodity-scale manufacture of nanomaterialsSeptember 21, 2018
- Nanoparticles for improving smart-window energy efficencySeptember 21, 2018
- This will support Argonne’s David Awschalom on his proposal of the Generation and Remote Distribution of Quantum En… https://t.co/E20CI5SMkL 6 hours ago
- RT @CACMmag : More than 90 student interns conducted research with mentors at @Argonne this past summer. https://t.co/8wdFJowlzU https://t.c… 11 hours ago