Safety share: Safe e-cigarette handling and smoking cessation
E-cigarettes have become more popular in recent years as smoking cessation tools. Here are some tips on how to use e-cigarettes safely:
- Do not use an off-brand charger to charge your device.
- Do not use a standard universal serial bus (USB) port to charge your device.
- Do not alter, modify or rebuild an e-cigarette.
- Do not leave an e-cigarette on a charging device unattended.
- Do not overcharge your device.
- A device that has a removable battery from the atomizer to charge may be safer than others.
No smoking policy
Argonne’s LMS-POL-12: No Smoking Policy prohibits smoking of any type of tobacco product, including e-cigarettes, inside buildings and outdoors within 15 feet of entrances.
Virgin Pulse tobacco cessation program
Argonne’s Virgin Pulse program has an online tobacco cessation coaching program through SelfHelpWorks. Log in to Virgin Pulse, go to the Rewards tab, click on How to Earn, scroll down to Participation and then click on SelfHelpWorks Course Registration.
This safety share, courtesy of Stephanie D’Angelo, Christina Perez and Robert Utesch (HSE) provides information about electronic cigarettes. Please print this information and use it to help kick off a team discussion at your next meeting with colleagues and/or staff.
Each month a safety share submitted by an individual will be selected to receive a Spot Award for demonstrated safety leadership. The Spot Award program offers three award levels: gold ($100), silver ($50) and bronze ($25).