The Leadership Institute presents Managerial Skills Series for 2018
The Leadership Institute will offer its Managerial Skill Series (MSS) of workshops beginning in February. The sequenced curriculum focuses on foundational supervisory and managerial skills.
The goal of this series and all of the Institute’s curricula is to positively impact employees’ careers by providing a disciplined, objective and purposeful process for leadership development. Through continual development of both organizational and individual staff capabilities, the Leadership Institute helps employees fulfill the laboratory’s scientific mission.
MSS is designed to help transform great supervisors and managers into exceptional leaders. It features both experts from throughout the laboratory as well as external facilitators to help participants develop and hone their managerial skills.
The series is recommended for staff new to management, those managers wanting a refresher and for frontline supervisors. Managers who have recently joined Argonne also will benefit from immersion into the laboratory’s culture. Anybody who is directly responsible for someone else’s performance coaching is considered part of the target audience.
It is strongly recommended participants attend all sessions unless they have previously attended one of the classes. New topics have been added and course titles have been updated for 2018 based on participant feedback. Class sizes are limited. Participants are encouraged to register as soon as possible. For course descriptions, times and locations, see the Leadership Institute website.
- Feb. 27: Building Trust Under Pressure (ALI206) – 4 hours
- March 6: Clarifying Performance Expectations (ALI202) – 4 hours
- March 13: Managing Employee Issues at Argonne (HR643) – 1 day
- April 11: Inclusive Leadership (ALI100) – 1 day
- April 17: Skillful Conversations (ALI207) – 4 hours
- May 1: Providing Performance Feedback (ALI203) – 4 hours
- May 15: Realizing Talent in Others (ALI204) – 4 hours
- June 5: Guiding Collaborative Discussions (ALI208) – 4 hours
- June 19: Resolving Conflicts Within Your Team (ALI209) – 4 hours
Participants can enroll through the Training Management System (TMS):
- From your training profile, click the “Enroll in an Elective” button. The “Course Finder” window will appear.
- Enter the “Course Number” of the course you wish to enroll in.
- Highlight the chosen course, which will appear in a dropdown list, and click on it.
- The “Enroll/Unenroll” window will display. Identify the course session you wish to attend, and click the “Enroll” icon.
If a drop-down menu does not appear for your chosen elective, it means the session is full. If you’d like to be put onto a wait-list, please call or email the Leadership Institute with your name, desired class title and date. Employees who register for the series but discover they cannot attend are asked to unenroll through TMS to allow slots to be filled by employees on the waiting list and to call the Leadership Institute to confirm the change. Contact the Leadership Institute at ext. 2-6034 or email email@example.com.