20-minute class: ‘Hip-hip-hooray! Healthy Hips and Tips’
Learn how to improve your fitness without risking injury at the “Hip-hip-hooray! Healthy Hips and Tips” class Tuesday, May 15, 2018, at 12:15 p.m. in the Building 402 Lower Gallery.
Led by Health and Employee Wellness Physical Therapist Assistant Joni Garcia, participants will learn how to reduce their risk of hip pain and injuries with simple stretching and strengthening techniques.
All are welcome to attend and bring their lunches. There is no cost or registration required.
Participants will earn 1,000 Virgin Pulse points for attending this course. Virgin Pulse points count towards Argonne’s Incentivized Wellness Program.
Five tips to keep your hips happy:
- Stretch your hips before starting each day and especially prior to exercise.
- There are multiple ways to stretch the same muscle; lie down, stand up or sit in a chair (do what feels the easiest to you).
- Keep your hips strong while standing at your kitchen sink.
- You’ll learn how in the class.
- Know that some hip pain is caused by low back issues.
- Keep your core strong, but do so in back neutral positions.
- Work towards breaking the habit of crossing and sitting on your legs.
- Improve your balance.
- Improved balance keeps hips, knees and ankles strong.