Bike Share Program: 10th season begins
Argonne’s Bike Share bicycles were fully deployed on May 25, 2018. The Bike Share Program provides employees with bicycles as a healthy, sustainable and fun way to travel on Argonne’s campus.
Before using Bike Share bikes, participants must complete training course ESH561: Bicycle Safety. Non-employee students, subcontractors and long-term visitors must also complete and submit a Non-Employee Bike Share Liability Waiver (ANL-877).
One free helmet is issued to participants who complete the training. Employees are responsible for replacing lost or damaged helmets.
Where to pick up your free helmet:
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: Building 046, Room 125 between 1 and 3 p.m.
- Any day: Building 460 Guest House Registration Desk
Reminders and tips:
- Helmets are required when riding Bike Share or personal bikes on site.
- Cell phone use, including hands-free devices, are prohibited while riding bikes on campus.
- Bike Share bicycles must remain on site at all times and are not allowed in the surrounding forest preserve.
- Come to a complete stop at stop signs.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Do not ride bicycles on sidewalks.
- Follow the Illinois Bicycle Rules of the Road at all times.
- Be aware that there are some two-way-only stops at some intersections on campus.
Hand versus coaster brakes
The Bike Share Program provides bicycles with hand brakes and other bicycles with only coaster brakes (i.e., foot pedal brakes). To ensure a safe and comfortable ride, check to see which type you have before getting on the bike.
Pre-ride bike check:
- Tires inflated?
- Brakes in good working order?
- Seat at appropriate height?