Improving How We Work…Work Planning and Control
The Improving How We Work (IHWW) Work Planning and Control (WPC) project is moving into high gear.
The project goal is to create a “simpler and safer” WPC process to ensure:
- A focus on communication and collaboration during all projects
- That employees are provided effective and meaningful learning programs to ensure that they are properly educated on all aspects of WPC
- That everyone works safely and communicates openly and frequently throughout the work planning process. Communication starts with pre-brief meetings and continues through to the end of the project.
- That everyone is confident in implementing stop or pause work whenever necessary.
The project will move WPC from the current model to a new one (see above image).
The IHWW project team consists of five subteams to ensure a focus on all the key elements of WPC:
- Process and documentation
- Change management and communications
- WPC application
- Field support
This effort is based on several months-long stakeholder engagement efforts with involvement from the programmatic and operational divisions, where opportunities for improvement were identified. The teams are working closely with the associate lab directors, division directors and chief operating officers to assure all perspectives and needs are included as the new process is developed.
The field support team is conducting field assist visits and safety review visits. As of July 6, 2018, 42 visits have been conducted.
The WPC application team will be conducting division engagement sessions with directorates and divisions in August.
Watch for continued communications in the coming weeks.
A new email address has been created to provide a means for two-way communication on the project and overall WPC questions or concerns. If you have questions, please send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org.