Learn how to write effective goals
By Norah Blackaller, Human Resource Services
Goals provide us with a sense of focus, priority and direction. They also provide a reference for ongoing conversation and feedback with our managers throughout the year.
Goals in Workday are available to all employees for comment and edit throughout the year and not just as part of the performance appraisal process. Human Resource Services (HRS) encourages all employees to add their goals in Workday.
It’s also good to periodically review your goals on your own and with your manager. Projects and priorities often change, making it important to reevaluate goals accordingly. A quarterly goals check can help set expectations and keep our work on track.
HRS will host five goals review and discussion brown bag sessions to help employees learn more about writing and updating goals. Sessions are scheduled in multiple locations:
- Building 362, Room F108: Tuesday, July 31 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Building 201, Room 190: Wednesday, Aug. 1 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Building 202, Room B169: Tuesday, Aug. 7 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Building 401, Room A1100: Wednesday, Aug. 8 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
- Building 240, Room 4301: Tuesday, Aug. 21 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
We invite you to join us. This will not be a formal presentation. We will be there to discuss what effective goals are or assist you in writing specific goals. We welcome other related questions on the process.
If you can’t attend but would like more information on goals, please watch this town hall presentation, Goals: A Closer Look, from April 2018.
Job aids and resources relating to goals are available on Box via the Workday Help icon on your Workday home page or the Workday page on Inside Argonne in the folder “Workday How To for Performance Appraisals,” subfolder “Goals,”:
- Setting Effective Goals.docx: Guidance on goal writing for managers and employees
- Goals-Add View and Edit.docx: How to navigate Goals in Workday for employees
- My Employees Goals-Add View and Edit.docx: How to navigate Goals in Workday for managers