Open Enrollment: Adding new dependents requires supporting documentation
The Open Enrollment period for 2019 begins Thursday, Nov. 1, and ends at 5 p.m. CST on Friday, Nov. 16, 2018. Elections made during this period will take effect on Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019.
Open Enrollment is the time when you can add or drop dependents without requiring a change in family status.
Employees can cover legal dependents under the healthcare plans:
- Spouse (regardless of sexual orientation)
- Civil union partner
- Child(ren) under the age of 26 or under the age of 30 (military dependents)
- Adopted child(ren)
- Child(ren) for whom legal guardianship was obtained
- Disabled child(ren) over the age of 26
Note: A child does not include a grandchild or foster child unless the child has been legally adopted or is under the employee’s legal guardianship.
Employees covering legal dependents that were not covered under their 2018 plans will need to submit supporting documentation.
The required documentation is as follows:
- Spouse/Civil Union Partner:
- Provide a copy of the official embossed marriage certificate/civil union certificate;
- Provide a copy of the official birth certificate that contains child’s and parents’ names and date of birth; and/or adoption papers.
Documentation needs to be uploaded directly into Workday during the enrollment process.
How to Attach Documentation
Attach the dependent’s documentation to your Open Enrollment event. You will find a field to attach documentation at the last step. If valid documentation is not received, coverage for the new dependents will be denied. If your documentation is in a language other than English, please provide an official translation.
To review the definition of an eligible dependent for Argonne’s healthcare plans, see Eligible Dependent Definition for health insurance.