A holiday OPSEC message
The holiday season is a good time to review basic operations security (OPSEC) countermeasures.
- When traveling away from home:
- Leave your home with a “lived in” look.
- Don’t advertise on social media that you will be gone over the holidays.
- Have a neighbor make periodic checks and collect mail and newspapers – or have these services temporarily stopped.
- Holiday shopping tips:
- When paying for items, be mindful not to display large amounts of cash.
- Shield PIN numbers when using debit cards.
- Keep gifts in your trunk while holiday shopping.
- Thieves may see packaging from expensive gifts sitting out awaiting trash pick up, which can make you a target. Bag this type of trash and put it curbside just prior to garbage pick up.
- While away from the office during lab closing:
- Ensure any sensitive information is secured properly — in a locked file cabinet or drawer.
- Lock office doors while unattended.
- Keep your badge in a safe place.
- Enjoy your time off with friends and family.
For OPSEC questions, send an email to email@example.com