Call for FY20 LDRD Prime and Innovate proposals
Argonne’s Laboratory Directed Research and Development (LDRD) program drives innovation by supporting the development of transformative ideas that have the potential to lead to new sponsor-funded research and development programs and advance Argonne’s impact.
This call offers researchers the opportunity to seek FY20 funding under the LDRD program component LDRD Prime, for projects in strategic focus areas defined by Argonne’s leadership team.
Key dates for FY20 LDRD Prime funding:
- April 8: New project pre-proposals due
- May 13: New project full proposals invited and call for request for renewal
- June 10: Full proposals and renewals due
Proposals for FY20 LDRD Prime funding are invited in these strategic focus areas:
- Advanced computing: Concepts and technology
- Hard X-ray sciences
- Universe as our Lab (ULab) – Electron-Ion Collider and Neutrinoless Double Beta Decay
Note: The FY20 call for EGS-led focus areas will occur at a later date and will be announced separately.
Strategic focus areas that will invite only requests for renewals are:
- Biological and environmental science capability development
- Energy storage
- Materials and chemistry
- Universe as our Lab (ULab) – Cosmic Microwave Background and Cosmology
Additionally, the LDRD Innovate component will only request renewals for FY20. The Seed component of Innovate for early-career scientists and postdoctoral associates will have a call for FY20 proposals in late summer.
Argonne’s LDRD website, which has moved to Inside Argonne, describes the scope of each focus area and provides submission instructions for pre-proposals. As detailed there:
- To seek funding for new LDRD Prime projects, investigators first submit pre-proposals.
- Invitations to prepare full proposals will be extended after pre-proposals have been reviewed via a process coordinated by the associate laboratory director responsible for the applicable focus area.
- The pre-proposals use the full proposal template. Please see each Prime focus area’s template and guidance for details.
Proposals should be submitted through the MyLDRD proposal system.
For additional information, contact the LDRD office at ext. 2-5373.