New honorarium procedure in effect starting June 24
On Monday, June 24, 2019, Financial Management & Procurement Services (FMP) introduced a new honorarium procedure. Based on customer feedback, a cross-organizational team has revised the procedure for issuing honorarium fees and travel reimbursements. Honoraria support events that increase our impact and engage our world-class community of talent. Improving this procedure is one step in our constant pursuit of operational excellence.
To facilitate this improvement, FMP has:
- Updated Argonne-issued Honorarium Fees and Travel Expense Reimbursement to Non-Argonne Individuals (LMS-PROC-246, Rev. 2) (formerly titled Honoraria);
- Created a new form: Pre-Authorization Approval for Non-Argonne Individuals (ANL-1229, Rev. 1);
- Modified the Request for Disbursement or Reimbursement (ANL-88, Rev. 2) form to support this additional process; and
- Retired the Honorarium Authorization & Voucher (ANL-19A) form.
Employees are expected to follow the new procedure beginning Monday, June 24, 2019. The resulting process will be easier, more efficient, and more consistent. Payments should be issued quickly due to preauthorization.
What has changed with LMS-PROC-246?
- The procedure title has changed from “Honoraria” to “Argonne-issued Honorarium Fees and Travel Expense Reimbursement to Non-Argonne Individuals,” clarifying that this procedure is not to be used as a guide for honorarium fees received by Argonne employees.
- Division director approval will be documented in advance, and division directors will confirm that individuals are eligible to receive an honorarium fee and/or travel reimbursement.
- A table is included which lists individuals not eligible for honorarium fees and the method to be used to reimburse them for travel, if the individual is eligible.
- All international travel must go through the Argonne Foreign Travel Management System approval process.
- U.S. Department of Energy approval for an honorarium fee is no longer applicable, as the maximum amount is $5,000 in a calendar year per the Prime Contract. The number of visits is also limited to four per year.
- Users can send tax forms (W-9/W8BEN) and electronic fund transfer forms (ACH) securely through Box Plus. (A W-9/W-8BEN tax form is required only if the individual is receiving an honorarium fee. The payment will not be processed until this form is received.)
What forms are being used for preauthorization and reimbursement?
- Pre-Authorization of Expenses for Non-Argonne Individuals (ANL-1229): a new form in Xink, created for pre-authorization to confirm that the individual is eligible to be processed under LMS-PROC-246. It must be completed before the individual is invited to the laboratory.
- Request for Disbursement or Reimbursement (ANL-88): a Xink form updated to accommodate paying these reimbursements; it includes new expense types. An approved ANL-1229 is required before submitting the ANL-88 for reimbursement.