Keep Core Values in mind at holiday parties
By Dan Raker (LEG), senior attorney, and Darryl Howe (HRS), manager, employee and labor relations
The holiday season is here, and many in the Argonne community celebrate with co-workers. Holiday parties are great opportunities to enjoy camaraderie and have fun, but please remember holiday parties are work functions. Keeping Argonne’s Core Values in mind will help make it an enjoyable season for all.
- Impact: Holiday parties are an opportunity to include and welcome everyone. Although all are welcome, attendance at holiday parties is not required, and individuals are free to attend or not attend based on their own choice. Additionally, Argonne holiday parties may not have religious themes.
- Safety: Although there is no prohibition of alcohol at off-site Argonne events, please limit alcohol consumption. Consider using a professional vendor for alcohol and narrowing windows of service for alcohol (preferably at the beginning of the event or during a meal).
- Respect: Because holiday parties are work-related events, all of Argonne’s Core Values and the Employee Conduct Policy must be followed. Please maintain a level of respectful conduct suitable for work, regardless of the setting.
- Integrity: Sexually explicit comments and other sexual conduct are not acceptable. Any employee who experiences or observes conduct at a holiday celebration that is objectionable should report that behavior to HRS-Employee Relations. Any Argonne manager who observes misconduct should immediately act to stop it and report it to HRS-Employee Relations. Misconduct at holiday events will be taken seriously and investigated in accordance with Argonne’s established procedures.
- Teamwork: Planning a holiday party and participating in party activities can be an opportunity to engage and include willing team members. Participation and attendance are also a great chance to promote a sense of membership in our Argonne community and to thank others for their hard work over the past year.
Argonne’s standards and Core Values apply to all of our activities throughout the year. We sincerely hope your holiday events are safe, welcoming, and inclusive.