Retired Argonne Co-Director for Integrated Emergency Preparedness William Metz, 74, passed away due to complications from a lung transplant in December. Metz was drafted in the United States Army in … Read More
Awards, recognition, transitions, new faces.
Interim Associate Division Director Mark Beno (XSD) died Saturday, Aug. 24, 2019, at the age of 68. Beno received his bachelor’s degree in chemistry from Marquette University, and his master’s and doctorate in physical chemistry from Ohio State University. His career at Argonne spanned 40 years.
Beno is survived by his wife and son.
Visitation … Read More »
Three candidates have been selected to receive the Maria Goeppert Mayer Fellowship. The 2019 fellows are Ashley Bielinski (MSD), Zachary Hood (AMD), and Lei Sun (NST).
The Maria Goeppert Mayer (MGM) Fellowship brings new research ideas and capabilities to the lab through the recruitment of world-class science and engineering talent. Candidates are selected based on … Read More »
This week, Suresh Sunderrajan and Sibendu Som announced the 2019 winners of the third annual EGS Excellence awards, which recognize Argonne’s world-class talent. Sunderrajan, the associate lab director (ALD) for the Energy and Global Security directorate, and Som, computational scientist and manager of Argonne’s Multi-Physics Computations group, awarded eight EGS staff in three categories:
People … Read More »
After a national search, Philip Anderson has been appointed director of the Argonne Leadership Institute in Human Resource Services. He will partner with leaders and employees across the laboratory to … Read More »
Retired Argonne attorney George Lubben died July 10, 2019, at the age of 90. Lubben was a resident of Lemont. He began his career at the lab in 1957 when he was hired to … Read More »
Argonne nuclear scientists Sasan Bakhtiari … Read More »
Deadline extended: Statement of intent due July 22
Nominations are being sought for the 2019 Postdoctoral Performance Awards to recognize outstanding achievement by postdoctoral appointees in the areas of applied research, basic research, and engineering research. The awards recognize the value and expertise postdocs bring to Argonne’s world-class community of talent. The statement of intent … Read More »
Several Argonne employees received on-the-spot recognition for displaying positive safety and/or quality assurance initiative during the month of May 2019.
Gold Spot Award recipients
Michael Bracken (AES) David Meyer (ASD) Glenn Moonier (AES) Leonard Morrison (AES) Anthony Puttkammer (ASD) Cristen Sarne (AES) William Sterling (STE) Robert Vargas (ASD) Andrzej Walkowicz (NWM) Andrey Yakovenko (XSD)
Silver … Read More »
Researchers in the Advanced Photon Source X-ray Science division (XSD) were looking for a specific gas cylinder regulator for an upcoming experiment involving pressurized flammable gases. They sent out a facility-wide request, and beamline scientist Andrey Yakovenko (XSD) responded that he had the correct part. However, instead of simply handing over the part, Yakovenko asked … Read More »
- Principles of Open Government Data and Open Science in Archaeology: Big Data Lessons from the Digital Index of North American ArchaeologyJanuary 20 - 10:30 am
- Machine Learning in Fundamental Nuclear Physics ResearchJanuary 20 - 3:30 pm
- Development and Deployment of Negative Emissions Technologies: Humanity’s Moonshot for the 21st CenturyJanuary 21 - 11:00 am
- The Big Questions: Ian Foster on High-Performance ComputingJanuary 15, 2020
- Department of Energy announces $625 million for new quantum centersJanuary 10, 2020
- Energy Dept. invests $625M in ‘transformative technology’January 10, 2020
- #ICYMI - The mechanistic and functional profile of the therapeutic anti-IgE antibody ligelizumab differs from omali… https://t.co/1nvX1lbvVP 6 hours ago
- RT @NatureComms : In a recent paper published in @NatureComms and available here https://t.co/DhRpXeiNPc, Phay Ho and colleagues from @EPFL ,… 1 day ago